Your foot doctor in Columbus, OH, can help with heel pain
If you’ve ever struggled with heel pain, you already know how it can impact your life. Heel pain can make it painful to walk, stand, or even put on shoes. The good news is, there are effective treatments to deal with heel pain, and your foot doctor offers them. Drs. Steventon Scott Wagner and Lynette Renae Mehl at University Foot Center in Columbus, OH, offer a full range of foot and ankle services, including treatments for heel pain.
You can suffer heel pain from stepping on sharp objects, causing a heel bruise. You can also develop heel pain from excess calcium deposits on your heel, resulting in a bone spur. The most common cause of heel pain is a condition known as plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is caused by the thick band of tissue running across your heel, called the plantar fascia, becoming inflamed.
You may have plantar fasciitis if you experience:
- Acute, sharp pain running across your heel
- Sharp pain running down the side of your foot
- Increasing pain when you stand up from being seated
- Increasing pain when you wake up
Plantar fasciitis can be caused by walking or standing on hard surfaces for long periods of time, overpronating or rolling your foot when you walk, running, or jogging.
You can try a few simple home remedies to decrease inflammation and reduce pain. Remember to:
- Stretch your arches for several minutes during the day
- Take over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication
If you have stubborn heel pain that doesn’t resolve, it’s time to visit the experts. At University Foot Center your foot doctor may recommend:
- Custom-fit orthotics or custom footwear for better support
- Physical therapy and stretches to decrease stiffness
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications to decrease swelling
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce inflammation
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT)
If you are struggling with heel pain, it doesn’t mean you have to spend your life on the couch. To find out more about effective treatments for heel pain and other footcare services, call Drs. Steventon Scott Wagner and Lynette Renae Mehl at University Foot Center in Columbus, OH. Call now and help your feet feel better!